How to Remove Mold From Furniture Fabric – Ultimate Guide

Mold is a serious health concern, and it’s not just people who are at risk – pets can also be affected. Here’s how to remove mold from furniture fabric, so your home is safe and clean!

What is Mold?

Mold is a type of fungus that grows on organic matter. It can form colonies on surfaces, such as wood, paper, cloth, and other materials. The fungus produces a slimy black or brown substance called mycelium. It can spoil food, water supplies, building materials, and fabrics.

It is most common in warm, moist environments. It can grow on a variety of surfaces and can easily be transported through air currents or water droplets. It may also be found indoors in schools, homes, and offices.

How Does It Form?

It forms in moist, dark places such as basements, crawl spaces, bathrooms, and kitchens. The fungus grows on organic material such as food, moisture, or leaves.

Once the mold has formed spores will spread through the air and onto other materials where they will grow and form new colonies.

What are the Signs of Mold?

If you’re noticing black spots or patches on your furniture, you might be seeing the effects and signs. It can grow on any surface that’s moist–in other words, on almost any fabric or material. If you notice any of the following signs, it’s time to get your furniture checked out:

  • The sensation of wetness or dampness when the furniture is in use
  • Bad odor
  • Unusual growths or colors on the furniture surface

If any of these symptoms are present it is important to get professional help as soon as possible.

How to Remove It

How to Remove It

The best way to remove mold from furniture is by using a solution of 1 part bleach and 9 parts water. Allow the solution to sit on the surface for 5 minutes before scrubbing with a brush. Rinse the item thoroughly with clean water and dry with a towel.

There are several other ways to remove mold from furniture fabric:

1. Remove any visible debris from the fabric with a vacuum cleaner. Be sure to carefully clean behind all the walls and corners where mold might be hiding. Apply a fungicide or other mold-fighting agent to the affected area of the fabric. Follow the product label instructions carefully. Cover the fabric with plastic wrap and weigh down the plastic with heavy objects such as books or cans. Leave the plastic in place for 24 hours, then remove it and wash the fabric as usual.

2. Clean the area with soap and water to remove any dirt or debris. Make sure to use a soft cloth to avoid further damage to the fabric. Next, use an all-purpose degreaser to break down the mold. Be careful not to over-clean the fabric as this could cause damage. After cleaning and degreasing, use a mold removal solution to retouch any areas that were missed in Be sure to use a cloth to avoid damaging the fabric further.

3. Oxygen: Another popular method used to remove mold from furniture fabric is using oxygen deprivation. This technique involves sealing off the area affected by mold with plastic sheeting or duct tape, then filling the area with oxygen-free air. The lack of oxygen will kill the mold spores, and the furniture will be free of any harmful chemicals. However, this method is more complicated than bleach, and it may not be suitable for all types of fabrics.

Remove mold from furniture

4. Salt is another popular method used to remove mold from furniture fabric. It works by drawing out the moisture from the mold, which then dehydrates it and causes it to fall off the fabric. However, salt can also damage the fabric, and it may not be effective in all cases. be sure to use caution when using salt to remove mold from furniture fabric.

5. If you don’t want to use any of the other methods, you can try using a vacuum cleaner with the hose attachment. Simply put the vacuum cleaner over the area affected by mold, and turn it on. The mold will be sucked up by the vacuum cleaner, and it will be gone within minutes.

6. If you don’t want to try any of the other methods, or if you are not comfortable doing so, you can call a professional cleaning service. They will be able to remove all of the mold from your furniture, without any risk of damage or injury.

Whichever method you choose, be sure to wear protective clothing and gloves, and to follow the instructions closely.

If you are trying to remove mold from furniture fabric yourself it is important to recognize the early warning signs of its growth so you can take appropriate measures sooner rather than later.

While removing it make sure to wear gloves and avoid getting it in your eyes. If you choose to use the vacuum cleaner with the hose attachment, make sure to use a filter and be careful not to overload the machine. If you choose to use the scrub brush, be sure to wet the fabric first and then apply the scrub brush in circular motions.

Signs that your furniture may be contaminated include:

  • Increase in allergies or asthma symptoms
  • Strange smells coming from the furniture;
  • Fuzzy white patches on the fabric;
  • The fabric starts to rot.

If any of these symptoms are present it is important to get professional help as soon as possible.

Health Problems Mold can Cause

It can cause a number of health problems, including:

  • Asthma symptoms: The most common mold-related asthma is called allergic contact asthma, which is caused by exposure to a specific allergen in the environment. It can also trigger other types of asthma, such as exercise-induced asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
  • Allergies: Mold can cause health problems in people of all ages, including infants and young children. Children are more prone to developing allergic reactions.
  • Eye irritation: There are a variety of treatments available for eye irritation caused by it, including over-the-counter eyewash products and prescriptions for ocular anti-molds agents. In some cases, the use of corticosteroids may be necessary to reduce inflammation
  • Infections, including pneumonia: Infections can be caused in both the lungs and other parts of the body. These infections can be serious, and can even lead to pneumonia. In fact, mold is one of the most common causes of pneumonia in the United States
  • Permanent damage to the respiratory system: The spores can travel through the air and settle in areas where they can grow, such as the lungs. If you are experiencing any signs or symptoms of respiratory infection, it is important to get treated as soon as possible.
  • Death: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people with asthma are more likely to die from exposure to it. People with other respiratory diseases, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or pneumonia, are also at risk for death.


Mold is a common problem in homes, and it can cause a variety of health problems if not dealt with quickly. If you notice it growing on any furniture or fabric in your home, the first step is to take pictures of the area so that you can identify the type and decide on a course of action.

Read our post about stopping your cat from peeing on furniture.